Morven’s Main House, Meeting Barn, Old Kitchen, Stone House, Japanese Garden and House and Formal Gardens provide a unique platform for educational and charitable events. They are available for use with approval from the University.
Take a look at the Morven Event Handbook for detailed information on the available spaces and the event planning process. To inquire, first please complete and submit the Morven Event Request Form and send it to the Events Manager. The Events Manager will contact you with additional information and notify you of event approval. Please enclose a list of two or three potential dates in order of preference as well as an itinerary of the proposed event.
The Main House
The Main House, built in 1820, renovated in 1990 and again in 2008, includes four bedrooms and five and one-half modern baths in a two-story, 6,412-square-foot estate home. The Main House includes a 611-square-foot terrace overlooking a rural landscape, formal entertaining rooms for meetings, dinners and receptions, as well as a modern, updated kitchen and a parking lot that accommodates 20 cars (additional parking available on-site, a short shuttle ride away).
Capacity: 40 dining; 60 lecture; 100 Reception
The Meeting Barn is a conference and cinema destination. Fully renovated in 2009 with a nod to Morven’s equestrian past, it includes a commercial-grade kitchen facility, a meeting area with an atrium and outdoor patio space, wireless internet, and the latest in audio/visual technology.
Capacity: 70 dining; 100 dining with tented patio; 60 lecture; 120 reception
The Old Kitchen, built in the early 19th Century, lies behind the Main House and overlooks a rose garden. The Old Kitchen’s two rooms contain the original brick fireplaces, but does not have bathroom facilities (a short stroll to the Main House). The Old Kitchen is air conditioned and centrally heated. It is ideal for small retreats, meetings and luncheons.
Capacity: 10 dining; 10 lecture; 25 Reception
The Stone House, built in the 1920s, renovated by John Kluge in the early 1990s, and again in 2009 by an adjunct faculty member and architect, Richard Price. With its most recent renovation, the Stone House has affectionately been coined, “the war room.” The Stone House includes two restrooms, and a second-floor conference room, with seating for 20, surrounded by raised, press-board walls, accented with modern lighting that splashes on the wall-boards surrounding the large, conference table. The conference room opens onto a second floor porch, supported by native stone arches (and likely built by previous owners, the Stones), giving the Stone House its name. The views from the conference room porch and windows spill over into the valley leading to Ash Lawn – Highland, providing panoramic displays of the seasons and farm. The Stone House is ideal for retreats, seminars, engaging lectures, and includes a screen and projector.
Capacity: 20 lecture; 35 Reception
The Formal Gardens were restored in 1930 by distinguished landscape architect Annette Hoyt Flanders. Since 1933, the Formal Gardens have been open to the public for Historic Garden Week
Japanese Garden and House
The Japanese Garden and House were installed by John W. Kluge in the mid-1990s.
Tours and meetings can be scheduled in both the garden and house.
Capacity: 12 dining; 12 lecture